Middleton Cheney History Society
Paper 3 - 2014 (update)
MIDDLETON CHENEY ROAD NAMES
Middleton Cheney Parish Council (formed in 1894) has traditionally chosen and suggested road names which reflect the unique heritage and identity of our village. Many of the names originate from the Enclosure Award and Map (1770), held at Northamptonshire County Record Office. This Award and the relevant Map show Field Names, and Rights of Way, many of which date back to Medieval times. Other road names commemorate Middleton Cheney landowners in the past, or trades which are relevant to the history of the village.
N.B. THE ENCLOSURE AWARD
When the Parish of Middleton was enclosed in 1770, Rev. Charles Everard (Booth) was very properly attentive to the rights of the Church. As a result of his spirited exertions in negotiating with the Enclosure Commissioners, he obtained a far greater proportion (1,624 acres), of good agricultural land in lieu of the tithes of the old Inclosures [sic] and common fields. This meeting took place at the house of William Jeffs, an Innholder of the Dolphin in Upper Middleton Cheney. It is recorded that the Commissioners charged the Owners and Proprietors of Middleton £1.210. 19s 5¼p, for the new allocation of Inclosures. (approx. £76, 109.52p in 2011)
Archery Road – The original name suggested by the Parish Council in 1949 was Beech Crescent / Road. Older residents remember the magnificent row of beech trees that grew along the side of the field. However, it was noted in the Parish Council minutes that, "Archery Road had its supporters." The field-name in this area was Archery Ground, it has also been known as Glebe Land & Rectory Field. The Reverend William Buckley (1817-1892) was Rector of All Saints Church in Middleton for 39 years and is known to have been an excellent sportsman – particularly cricket and archery (he was an enthusiastic member of Deddington Archery Association). Old maps of the village clearly show raised ground, said to be located behind the targets, where Rev Buckley and friends practised their sport.
Arrow Close – The name associated with the adjoining Archery Road (see above). The name 'fitted in,' with the archery theme.
Ash Tree Court – Presumably named after an Ash tree (or trees) in this area
Ashlade – see Washle Drive.
Astrop Road – Quite literally, the road to Astrop, but originally referred to as Parsontide Way.
The Avenue – Constructed in 1921-2 by Messrs Boot and Son. These were the first Council houses to be built in the village and most of the builders were Middleton Cheney residents. (Photograph – MC Archive). One class of house was to cost £904 (i.e. with a parlour), and the other £860 (non parlour). The rent (exclusive of rates) was 12s/6d and 10s/6d respectively. This was later reduced to 7s/6d and 6s/6d as many of the agricultural workers in the village could not afford such a high rent. In 1921 the average weekly wage for an Agricultural Labourer in Northamptonshire was 28s 0d (weekly hours - 50 in summer, 48 in winter). This amount increased to 30s.0d in 1924 as a result of the Agricultural Wages Act.
Banbury Lane – Also known as Thorpe Road (1911 census). Runs along the northern boundary of the village and follows the line of a prehistoric track-way. In the year 913 AD a band of Danes, who had settled in Northampton, travelled along Banbury Lane, and ravaged north Oxfordshire. The Danes were known to be great traders who established market towns. The outcome of their attacks is likely to have benefitted Banbury by aiding the development of the town centre. Crop Mark photographs in the village archive show the location of Anglo-Saxon enclosures adjacent to this road. An important period of use was in the late 12th century and it was also used a Drove Road to take cattle to market. At one time it linked up with another drover's route at Culworth, known as the Welsh Lane.
Barnett Road – Constructed by the Swindon Construction Company and officially opened in 1939. It was named after Mr Robert Sydney Barnett & his wife who lived at The Holt and who gave the War Memorial to the village in 1919. Dedicated to the fallen of World War I, it was also in memory of their only son, Ronald, who died (Mar.Q, 1918) of meningitis at the age of 16 (note - the small brass plaque on the war memorial has the wrong age!) The Copper Beech tree in the middle of the green in this area was planted when the first residents moved in to the houses.
Recent research has led to the discovery that Robert Barnett was a descendant of a gun-making dynasty which began in London in 1796. In 1842 the firm became John Edward Barnett & Sons and operated under that name until 1901, when it was renamed JE Barnett & Sons Ltd. The business closed in 1908. During the American Civil War years (1861-65), Barnett operated at Brew house Lane, Wapping in London. Practically all of their military firearms output during the Civil War era (which was not purchased by the British government), ended up being sold to the Confederacy. (Researched on behalf of the P.C. in 2013)
Bowman Close – Another road named in conjunction with the 'archery theme' (see Archery Road) (named by the Parish Council in 1964)
Braggingtons Lane – Previously known as Braggingtons Yard (1881 census), this was originally a cul-de-sac. The name is derived from the surname of James Braggington a Shoe Maker, whose father John, had been a Beer Retailer & Master Shoe Maker in Upper Middleton. Shoemakers were known by the name of SNOBS in Northamptonshire, for reasons that are unclear. However the family had a profitable business and were able to purchase a number of cottages in this area, giving their name to the lane. In 1841 (census) this area was known as Cork Yard – origin unknown.
Bull Baulk – At the time of the Enclosure Award (1770), much of the land in this area was awarded to William Bull, a farmer whose family had cultivated the land for generations. The old method of farming used oxen to plough the fields and as the end of a strip was reached the oxen would be turned in a circle to start the return journey. This method of ploughing raised the level of the strip of land and the higher ground often became a village footpath as the ground was drier. The Latin word for such a strip is Balcus or Baulk. The derivation of this name was lost over time and a popular misconception was that the name was associated with the Rector & his hobby of archery and the top score, a bulls-eye (see Archery Road), hence the naming of two other roads in this area as Arrow Close & Bowman Close. More recently suggestions for the houses at the far end of Bull Baulk were Fieldview & Long Bow, neither was adopted. When the Bull Baulk estate was first developed in the early 1950s it extended to, and included Midway. The other streets (Swan Close etc.) and the further extension to Bull Baulk were added later. (originally named by the Parish Council in 1951)
Carpenters Lane – The private road which leads to Poplars Cottages (2 Houses) once led across the fields to the farmland belonging to Mr Charles Henry Carpenter (1911 census) who lived at Poplars Farmhouse (No. 63) on the Main Road, near the Green. The original track has been divided by Middleton Cheney by-pass which was opened in December 1992.
Centenary Road, Poppy Field Way & Remembrance Close – The building of these houses coincides with the 100th anniversary of the declaration of WW1, a significant milestone in world history. For centuries, communities across the country had survived invasions, civil wars, industrial and agricultural revolutions which affected family life. But until 1914, Britain had never before been involved in such an enormous event that it quite literally dominated the lives every man, woman and child in the British Isles for the next four years. Middleton Cheney was no exception and these road names are a fitting and lasting tribute to the people who lost their lives and those whose lives were changed forever.
(named by the Parish Council and MC History Society 2014)
Chacombe Road – So named because it leads to Chacombe – there were no houses along this road until the 1950s and it was much narrower than now. The first building company were the Mssrs. Churton but the development was taken over by Clarkes of Leamington. Older residents remember hard winters when snow would drift onto the road, making it impassable.
Cheney Gardens – Once the site of Middleton Cheney Garden Centre – Cheney has developed from the name of the French Barons (Chenduit) who were awarded the land after the Norman Conquest in 1066. The original suggestion was Chacombe Gardens but this was rejected as being too confusing due to the parish boundary of Chacombe which lies to the north of the adjacent cross-road. (named by the Parish Council 1995).
Dands Drive & Dands Close – Thomas Dand, owned the field known as Dands Ground; he died in 1869 at the age of 77. Thomas is listed in the Middleton Cheney census of 1851 & 61, as a Landed Proprietor, owning 10 acres of land and employing one man. The P.C. recommended the name in 1967. At the time of the Enclosure Award this area was known as Church Hedge Furlong. (named by the Parish Council 1975)
Glovers Lane – It is known that a Tanyard used to be located at the bottom of the lane and legend has it that gloves were made in this area. One of the cottages was named Gauntlets which bears out this supposition. However the name is more likely to be derived from the surname of two elderly spinsters, Jane and Louise Glover, who owned a number of cottages in this area between the 1870s and 1911. In the 1911 census some residents gave their address as 'Near Miss Glovers' but the name Glovers Lane was not in use at this time, nor in any of the earlier censuses.
Hailsham Court – This area was the site of a Garage built by Bert Lines (Herbert), a motor mechanic and this was the name originally suggested by one of the councillors Bert's father was Ellis Lines who had been a village Carrier in Culworth before the family moved to Middleton. However the development was eventually named after the first Lord Hailsham (Douglas Hogg 1872-1950) who was a Statesman & Lord Chancellor, also Secretary of State for War. His son from his first marriage, Quintin Hogg [sic], was a Conservative M.P. who very nearly became Prime Minister after Harold Macmillan. The Hailshams lived in Middleton House (on the opposite side of the Main Road), which is now the home of BSSA (British Shops & Stores Association). (Named by the Parish Council 1995)
High Street – Originally called Red Lion Street (1841 census), this was later changed to the High Street and runs from the crossroads near the Primary School to the entrance to Glovers Lane, whereupon it becomes Chacombe Road. The Red Lion Public House (now two houses) has a date-stone 1696.
Home Close – see Washle Drive
Horton Estate – Originally known as Green Farm Estate the P.C. recommended Horton Road, Horton Crescent and Horton Close (later renamed Horton Drive by Brackley R.D.C.) in May 1962. The builder suggested St. Anne's Drive, Jayne's Close and Sandra Close after members of his family but these were replaced by alternative names recommended by the P.C., namely Poplars Drive (the name of the farm in this area), Horton Close and Kingston Close (see Rose Hall Lane). The Hortons had been Lords of the Manor in the 1800s; therefore the estate commemorates their name. This area was extended to the Middleton Cheney By-pass boundary in 1995. (By-pass opened 1992)
Kings Stile – The name was first noted in the Enclosure Award dated 1770. In 1968 the Parish Council suggested Kings Close, Winfield (the Farmer's name), and Tombs Ground (the field-name). Brackley Rural District Council recommended Kings Stile as local legend records that King Charles I rested here after the battle of Cropredy Bridge (1644) at the time of the English Civil War. It is recorded in 'The Kings Letters' that on "Monday morning (1stJuly) about four of the clock, his Majesty, with all his army, drums beating, colours flying and trumpets sounding, marched through Middleton Cheney, from thence to Farthinghoe and Aynhoe on the hill".
Kingston Close – see Horton Estate
Leather Lane – Named after the occupation carried out in the old Tanyard which was located nearby, at the bottom end of Glovers Lane. The last known, working Tanner in Middleton was John Drayson who died in 1788. His name is carved on the lintel of the ingle-nook fireplace of Springfield House (researched on behalf of the Parish Council and named 2013)
Lexton Gardens – Originally the garden of Lexton House, more research is required to discover why the house bears this name. (road named by the Parish Council 1990)
Longburges – see Washle Drive
Main Road – The road which runs through the village from Banbury in the direction of Brackley was once the Turnpike Road which ran from Buckingham to Banbury (1791 Turnpike Act). Some of the original milestones still exist although the plaques which displayed the mileage to passing travellers was removed during World War II and never replaced. One can be seen outside number 14 Main Road, (the plaque would have displayed Banbury 3, Brackley 6 miles) the other is virtually hidden in the hedge approximately 400 metres from the Dolphin public house, on the left hand side as you drive towards Banbury,(i.e. Banbury 2, Brackley 7 miles). The Turnpike Road is referred to by name in the 1841 census for Lower Middleton Cheney. It is also interesting to note that the poor condition of the road (potholes!) was discussed at a meeting of the Brackley Highways Board held in Middleton on the 8th August 1872 (Banbury Advertiser - village archives).
Manor Close – see Washle Drive
Michaelmas Close – The builders temporarily named this development 'Church View.' However, the field name was originally Upper Close Pasture as shown on a sales document dated 1876. Sale details included the information that the field was part of a, 'valuable freehold and tithe-free estate held for a term of 3000 years, created by an indenture in the 4th year of the reign of King James 1st' (1607). Several lots were advertised for sale with possession to be had, 'At Michaelmas next.' Michaelmas Day, September 29th was an important day in the farming calendar, when properties traditionally changed hands. Harvest = profit, therefore land was more desirable at this time. The parish council recommended that the word 'Close' was retained from the original field name and Michaelmas Close was therefore adopted as a suitable and attractive name for this development. (researched on behalf of the Parish Council and named 2002)
Midway – see Bull Baulk
Middle Way (Footpath) – Originally a footpath that linked Upper & Lower Middleton Cheney, there were no houses in-between.
Millers Way – Historical maps show the footpath which led across the field from the bottom of Glovers Lane to a Windmill which was originally located, one field further across, on the north side of Banbury Lane / the old Northampton Road. This windmill was replaced by a steam operated mill which closed down prior to 1910. A garage now occupies the site. The other roads in this area have names which are associated with the Tanyard which was located nearby, at the bottom of Glovers Lane. (researched on behalf of the Parish Council and named 2013)
The Moors Drive – The Moors (or Town Field) was an original field name in this area and is known to be the site of a well-documented skirmish (1643) between the Royalists and Cromwell's men (Parliamentarians), during the English Civil War. On that occasion 300 parliamentary prisoners were taken and 100 were killed; the royalists lost only 3 men. Our parish registers record that 46 'rebels' were buried in All Saints Churchyard on Sunday 7th May 1643 (see also Kings Stile for a Civil War connection).
Brackley Builders Limited, had originally suggested Astrop Close or Waye [sic] when the houses were built in 1976.
Peacocks Close –Named after a field, which had been owned by William Peacock, a Butcher & Greengrocer (Whellan's Directory, Northamptonshire, 1849). (named by the Parish Council 1962)
Poplars Drive – see Horton Estate
Poppy Field Way – see Centenary Road.
Queen Street –Named in 1837 to commemorate Queen Victoria's Coronation. It is one of the few street names mentioned by name in the 1841 census. A number of cottages in the area were variously located in 'Yards' – Bakehouse Yard (House Deeds no.20), Barrack Yard, Gibbards Yard and Pings Yard (all mentioned in 1841 census). See the list of obsolete road names at the end of this document.
Rectory Lane – The Rectory (now a residential care home) stands at the junction of this road and the Chacombe Road. On the opposite side of the road lies Rectory Farm, formerly known as Glebe Farm. Both properties belonged to the church and have been extensively altered and enlarged over the years. The 'living' or income from the surrounding church land was very desirable for a succession of influential and extremely well-educated Rectors from Brasenose College in Oxford.
Remembrance Close – see Centenary Road
Rochester Close –The Bishop of Rochester and Lord High Chancellor of England, Walter de Merton owned the land in this area of the manor of Middleton Cheney, as long ago as 1274. He was granted the land by Stephen, son of Ralph de Chenduit (name now corrupted to Cheney) In 1264 Walter de Merton founded Merton College in Oxford. (For the last three years of his life Walter divided his time between his duties in Rochester and the supervision of this fledging academic house). Details are still held in the Kent County Archives. Hence the name of this road maintains a link with our medieval history.
It is interesting to note that builders uncovered the bones of a man (aged 35-45), a woman (aged over 45), and a child (under 2 years) when they were excavating this site (December 2012). Carbon dating by archaeologists revealed that the bones were more than 1000 years old and were probably a family who succumbed to a disease at the same time and were buried at the edge of a settlement. The bones were reburied in Middleton Cheney Cemetery with a headstone inscribed –
HERE LIE THEREMAINS OFTHREE PERSONSDISCOVERED DURINGBUILDING WORK INMAIN RDMIDDLETON CHENEY 2012 / May They / Rest in Peace.
However, the fact that these are ancient bones and the genders of the re-burials have not been inscribed, will mean that future generations can only read and wonder. (researched on behalf of the Parish Council and named 2013)
Rose Hall Lane – The large, double fronted house, built in 1844 gives this lane its name, it has also been known as Rose Lane (1911 census). Rose Hall was built by a farmer, Richard Kingston who, in 1851 is recorded as owning 15 acres of land, employing one labourer. His wife Harriet also worked on the farm and by 1881 (census) he owned at least two further houses known as Kingstons Cottages. Richard Kingston's fields formed part of the present day Horton Estate and his new farmhouse overlooked the open fields, which have now been replaced by houses.
Royal Oak Lane – The Royal Oak, (number 6) previously a public house or an 'off license,' has seen a number of uses and in 1901 was listed as the home of William Tuckey, Carpenter and Beer Seller, his wife Miriam and nine children between the ages of 12 and 2 months. This road was previously known as Chapel Lane (1901 census).
The Rutts (Footpath) – Opposite the entrance to Glovers Lane. This was originally a track which dates back to the 1700s and possibly earlier, it led across the fields to a barn known as Longe's Hovel and further on to Top Barn. The remains of a very old stone stile can be seen to the left of the present day kissing-gate as you enter the field. This may have once been a parish marker. If you follow the footpath and then a private road, the barn is now Oak Field House (approached via Waters Lane).
Salmons Lane – Previously known as Locks Lane, after the local baker, James Lock (1881 census), and Stockleys Lane (1841). Robert Salmon was listed as the local Baker in 1818, whose Bakehouse was valued at £4.00. (List of Proprietors & Premises in Middleton Cheney)
Slade Leas – See Waters Lane
Stanwell Estate – Known locally as "Bobs Ground." When this estate was being developed it was called the Clarkes Estate. The field was part of Stanwell Farm, therefore the Parish Council recommended that the roads be called Stanwell Drive, Stanwell Close and Stanwell Lea. House prices were £2,000; Bungalows £1,660.(named by the Parish Council 1963)
The site-foreman for Clarke's Builders was George Davis from Banbury, formerly a prize bare-knuckle fighter then a boxer (1935-1945), whose sparring partner was Bruce Woodcock (British and Empire Heavyweight Champion - 39 professional contests between 1942 & 1950). The foreman's right-hand man was George Elbrow, Middleton Cheney Scout Leader who reported for work in his Scout uniform, including shorts and green beret (the beret worn at a jaunty angle).
Swan Close – Said to have derived from the same archery theme as Archery Road and Bowman Close. Some say that Swan's feathers were used for making bows but this road is more likely to have been named after the gentleman who had previously owned the field. Mr Swann lived in Jubilee House (now demolished) which was located near to the present-day shops in the High Street.
Tanners Close – Named after the occupation carried out in the old Tanyard which was located nearby, at the bottom end of Glovers Lane. The last known, working Tanner in Middleton was John Drayson who died in 1788. His name is carved on the lintel of the ingle-nook fireplace of Springfield House (researched on behalf of the Parish Council and named 2013)
Tenlands – This name is derived from an old field-name which has been handed down from Medieval times when the farming method was that of "Ridge & Furrow." A nearby field was marked out into ten strips (or lands), each strip being farmed individually. Five lands at the top of the field ran from north to south and the five at the bottom from east to west. A large Manor House called 'The Holt' was built on this site in 1864 for the Lady of the Manor, Miss Mary Ann Horton. It was demolished in 1973 and only the Coach House to the right of the entrance remains. The parish council (named by the District Council 1985) (see also, Defunct Road Names - Holt Lane Gate)
Mary Ann bequeathed the money for the erection of a hospital in Banbury – hence the name, Horton Hospital.
Thenford Road – Literally, the road to Thenford. A photograph in the parish archives shows a very old row of thatched cottages which were demolished in about 1912. The more recent houses on the left hand side were built in 2000 and those on the right in 2002.
Tulbrook Stones – see Washle Drive
The Tythings – The land in this area originally belonged to the nearby parish of Marston St. Lawrence. Landowners and residents in this area therefore paid tythes (or rent) to that parish and this area was not transferred to Middleton Cheney until a Local Government Board Order dated March 25th 1885 (Middleton Cheney Parish Registers). (researched on behalf of the Parish Council and named 2003)
Washle Drive (also Ashlade, Longburges, Manor Close, Tulbrook Stones) - are all field names located on the old Enclosure Maps of Middleton Cheney. 'Washle' is derived from Wash-Hole; the place where villagers carried out their regular, annual wash day! The terms Manor Close & Home Close – are names derived from land belonging to the Lord of the Manor. Old maps (1770) also show that a Manor Farm was situated where Middleton House now stands and was probably the location of one of the three original Manors which, together, formed the village. Home Close was first recorded in the Enclosure Award dated 1770 with the description, 'A cart way in Lower Middleton Cheney – to remain the breadth of 12 feet, leading from the Home Close of Thomas Evans.' Tulbrook Stones was a field name in the same Enclosure Award located along a cart way leading from lower Middleton Cheney to Thenford 'to remain the breadth of 20 feet in every part.' (named by the Parish Council 1980s)
Waters Lane & Slade Leas - Old maps (1770) clearly show the name of the field in this area as WATER SLADE LEAS. Roughly translated from old English as "a-pond-in-a-dip-in-a-meadow" – shortened to "Water Slade" and over time was probably referred to as Waters Lane. The name (Waters Lane) was recorded in the 1770 Enclosure Award where it was described as a public bridle way and horse road. The remaining part of the original old field name was adopted as the road name Slade Leas. (researched on behalf of the Parish Council named 2000)
Yew Tree Close –Takes its name from the name of the Farmhouse, which had previously been known as VALENCIENNES. When Tom & Eva Harper moved into the Farm after WW1 the name was changed to Yew Tree Farm. A later occupant (1940s), was George Frederick Farley. The farm (which has more recently reverted to its older name), had formed part of the estate purchased by William Horton when he became Lord of the Manor in 1793. The fields belonging to this farm were located on the right hand side of the road to Brackley, as far as the old railway line. Four fields across the old enclosure map (1770) clearly shows the field name Valenciennes. We can only speculate why a field in Northamptonshire bears the name of a town in Northern France. However, Valenciennes was notable for fine lace as, indeed, was Middleton Cheney in the early 1800s. William Horton had married a French wife (Elizabeth Sufflee), and we know that Lace-Making was one of their business interests. (Parish Archives). (named by the Parish Council 1999)
OBSOLETE ROAD NAMES
Barrack Yard – An area in Queen Street, further investigation will be needed to discover the origins of this name (1841 census, 2 cottages)
Bakehouse Yard – The area adjacent to the house named Celanlea (no. 20). (House deeds 1949, 2 cottages)
Brewhouse Lane –Name no longer used but the laneruns between Wisteria House and the present day Charity Shop. The name may indicate that beer was produced in the locality. Alternatively 'Bru' is old English for the projecting upper edge of a steep place, or the top of a rise – this could have been Bru-house Lane.
Fitchers Town End – Name no longer used but recorded in the 1770 Enclosure Award – Probably the area at the bottom of the more recently named - Glovers Lane. The Enclosure Award describes it as, "The ancient footpath that led to Kings Style. " The name could be derived from the old country name of "fitchet," or ferret – and the aroma that they emit. The tanyard was in this area, so it may be a reference to the smell!
Fitcherd Street – Name no longer used and exact location unknown but recorded in the 1770 Enclosure Award for Upper Middleton Cheney. (see above)
Gold Street – Name no longer in use but this was probably the lane near Windmill Farm / Nursery (see 1841 census)
Gibbards Yard – located in Queen Street, in 1841 there were 4 cottages here.
Hemmings Street – Name no longer used and exact location unknown but recorded in the 1770 Enclosure Award for Upper Middleton Cheney)
Hanleys Lane – Name no longer used and exact location unknown but recorded in the 1841 census.
Holt Lane Gate – Noted in the 1770 Enclosure Award, near Warkworth. This may be the origin of the name of the The Holt, the Manor House built in 1864 for Mary Ann Horton, Lady of the Manor
Penns Lane – Name no longer used but derived from the name of Robert Penn of "Independent Means" (see 1841 census).
Parsontide Way – now known as ASTROP ROAD
Pings Yard – located behind Pings Cottage (near the post office). William Ping was a Plumber & Glazier who owned at least 3 small cottages in the yard.
Red Lion Street – now known as HIGH STREET.
Cogthorn Furlong ) All recorded in the
Fulbrooke Furlong ) 1770 Enclosure Award
Welshman's Close ) A Mr. Welshman paid for his new land allocation.
Ardlash Gate – Recorded in the 1770 Enclosure Award – this lane led into the old enclosure of Thenford.
Copperwell Lane – recorded in the 1841 census.
Cork Yard – Now disappeared but located in the Braggintons Lane area
Evans Lane – Name no longer used but this was the road to Thenford in the 1770 Enclosure Award.
Foards Lane [sic] – 1770 Enclosure Award - 'A public footpath, breadth 4 feet.'
Gibbs Street – Exact location unknown.
Haywards Yard - Now disappeared but located in the Braggintons Lane area
The Leys - was the lane behind the cottages facing Middle Green and is now used as garage access. At one time there were 12 cottages here.
Pratts Lane – Originally ran between Rose Hall Lane & Royal Oak Lane. The name derived from the surname of a retired Farmer, Joseph Pratt who owned a number of cottages in this area (1881 census).
In 1841 this area had also been known as Fuddlem Lane (12 cottages) and Spencers Lane (6 cottages)Evidently this was a very close-knit community although the houses were very dilapidated. In 1934 fourteen cottages, housing seventy-eight people were demolished. Smiths Lane (1881 census) is also recorded in the above area.
Seabridge Foard [sic] – No longer used but referred to in the 1770 Enclosure Award.
Shilley's Gate – No longer used but referred to in the 1770 Enclosure Award.
Lady's Hole Plank – a footpath which led into the old enclosures of Purston ) Enclosure
Lower Moor Plank – a footpath which led into the old enclosures of Warkworth ) Award
researched by Nancy Long – 1989-2014 (Voluntary village archivist)